Our breeding dogs live in our home and are very much part of our lives and although they have a particular job to do, first and foremost they need a loving home and family to be part of. We don’t kennel our dogs. Kenneled breeding dogs, once retired, and sold off, have difficulty adjusting to a family as they have not been properly socialized. Guardian Homes allow the breeding dog to be placed with their forever family from the beginning and then never needs to be rehomed once their breeding career is over. We waive the purchase price but charge a Homing Fee of $600. When we have a female dog to place, she will come to our house 4 times from the time she is 1.5 to 6 yrs of age. She will stay for approx. 6 weeks to whelp and wean her puppies. After she is done her breeding career we pay to spay her and return $200 to the guardian home. When we have a male dog to place, we just need access to the boy whenever he is needed for a ‘date’ with one of his girlfriends. When his breeding career is over, we pay to neuter him and return $200 to the guardian home. Once the contract is over, the dog is neutered/spayed, and $200 is returned to the guardian home, as well as transfer of full ownership of the dog. It ends up that the cost of the dog is ‘free’, for the family.
Requirements for Guardian Homes:
- Own their own home
- A fenced yard
- A ‘stay at home parent’ or who works only part time.
- Willing to take obedience classes.
- Live a reasonable distance from our location. i.e. Greater Vancouver Area or Fraser Valley.
- Can provide routine professional grooming or willing to learn how to groom properly
- Flexibility when we need access to the dog for ‘dates’.
- Agree not to breed this dog.
- Provide an approved excellent high premium commercial diet (kibble). Raw is preferred but not mandatory.
- Our male guardian dogs have a longer breeding career than females but are only needed for a few hours at a time. We pay to de-sex the dog when the breeding career is over.
- Guardian homes are responsible for everything else: yearly vaccinations, vet bills, monthly flea and deworming treatment, grooming, obedience classes, City License…just as you would a dog you purchased, as this is your pet dog, but we retain ownership and breeding rights until the contract comes to an end. The purchase price of the dog is waived, but families pay a $600 homing fee for the dog (instead of the $2500 pet price) and then we return $200 when the contract is completed as well as desex the dog.